Converting The BaC Dreadnought (part 2)

Part 2 of a multipart series of posts on converting the Betrayal At Calth dreadnought.

The most time consuming and difficult part of this project so far has been the legs of the dreadnought. I think I will be working to find ways around doing this much resculpting for the other models. I like how this is turning out, I just don’t want to go through an involved sculpting process for each one.

I’ve switched to a procedure for converting which requires less sculpting and which uses more of the components that are part of the original model.

dread_leg_rev_1
Repositioned Knee after a bit of careful cutting and gluing.
dread_leg_rev_3
A bit of hose made with a tentacle maker was used to add some detail to the exposed leg area.

The leg can be repositioned pretty easily once you detach the upper and lower legs. The cutting can be a bit rough if you aren’t careful, but this can be easily cleaned up later. Here I put some additional detail on the inner leg which helped fill the void created by cutting the leg up.

dread_leg_rev_2
The gap was filled in and some detailing added.

I rebuilt part of the hip joint and created some more interesting detail on the front part of the leg. This still needs some clean up, but is looking pretty good.

dread_body_rev_2
Extra details added to the hull of the dreadnought

I’ve started to add some additional details to the dreadnought’s armor. These pipes may have been part of a field modification or repair. My intention is to convert the dreadnoughts to give each one of them a unique character.

dread_body_rev_3
Legs attached and posed.

The dreadnought is starting to come together. A bit more detailing work and it’ll be ready to be primed! Next up I will share some of that as well as the finished conversion work on it’s arms.

HH Blood Angels Tactical Squads For WH30k

I’ve been bitten by the 30k bug since the release of the Betrayal at Calth box set. I’ve wanted to do a Horus Heresy army for years but found the FW prices & shipping to be a barrier to entry. The models provided in the set are excellent and are perfect for a conversion junky such as myself. GW did a nice job of keeping the models simple and well designed. They mesh perfectly with the FW resins as well as the GW 40k marines and have a refreshing lack of random adornment (Purity Seals… blech).

BloodAngels_WIP1_12_23_15
15 Man Tactical Squad

BloodAngels_WIP4_12_23_15
5 Flamer Tactical Support Marines
My first group of Astartes for this project is a 15 man block of Tactical marines in a mix of Mk 3 and Mk 4 armor, a similar 10 man block, and Plasma-gun and flamer wielding Tactical Support squads.

BloodAngels_WIP2_12_23_15
2 Plasma Support Marines. I need to finish up the commander’s pointing hand.

BloodAngels_WIP3_12_23_15
Close up of a Tac Support Marine. You can see my basing plan with this shot.
After I complete these guys I am going to hack up the Contemptor Dreadnought for some re-posing! Stay tuned.