Here is a work in progress shot of my Sea Guard. I am working up the highlights now which is always a little challenging for me. I get a bit hung up on how well crafted the blending on the tones feel.
This joint has been a bit dead lately. I have been super slammed with painting, sculpting, tournaments, and of course tons of real life. Adepticon has come and went, and it was a fantastic time this year!! I was able to bag best painted with my Soviet Heavy Assault Gun Regiment for the Late War tournament! This was a great accomplishment for me. I have never won a painting award before, and it was great feeling to get that plaque! I will have to get some proper gallery shots of my Russians up here soon.
I am painting some critters for my friend’s Descent boardgame. It will be nice to paint something a bit different, and casual like that. The sculpts kind of lack something to be desired, but I may be able to fix up some of their weaker details through the painting.
The Warhammer High Elves have finally begun! This project has been on the back-burner for nearly 2 years! I am excited to get a start on this, and with an aggresive deadline looming, I will need to hussle! I have been taking some breif shots of works in progress on my Seaguard for twitter… check em out:
*While in the process of trying to get some pics of some of my new Chaos creations, I decided to make live a draft of a post that I have been working on for a while.
I commonly hear people complain about the plastic High Elf Spearman kit. When you consider the bizarre proportions of the models that the kit makes, you can’t really blame folks.
I actually really like this kit. It needs a ton of loving before the models will look good, no doubt. The criticism that the proportions are way off is dead on, and is pretty much to blame for the cartoon look of the HE spearmen. If you address the proportions some, the models actually start to look pretty good. Here is my prototype for a High Elf Spearman.
I did 3 distinct things to this model to get it to look better. The first thing to do was to add about 1-2 mm of waist length under the torso component. This was accomplished with a simple shaped wad of fresh greenstuff. If made much longer, I would need to pin the torso to the leg piece as well. The next step was to position the arms in a more natural, and interesting way. For some reason the GW stock kit makes the elf look like he is floating in an inner-tube in the water. The last thing was to add about 2 mm of length to the space between the foot and the bottom of their skirts. This helps the legs not look too short after the waist is adjusted. After this the proportions are better, not perfect, but better.
Obviously, I also added a lot of details to this model with putty. This captures the look I want for a High Elf soldier far better than the rather bland details the existing kit has. This is a matter of personal taste, not really a criticism of the GW kit. I also wanted their spears to be longer so I replaced the shaft of the plastic one with 1/16th” aluminum tubing. Eventually the shield will receive a press mold applique.
As I said, I really do like this kit. I think it has a lot of flexibility in the ways that the models can be posed thanks to the way that most of the major body parts are their own piece. Some of the newer kits seem to be designed to lock into a particular position, and would be more difficult to vary their poses. Oh, and I bet you are wondering what happened to his left foot. He lost it in a de-basing accident. It will give me an excuse to learn to sculpt elf kicks!