These are some recent miniatures of Norman knights that I have been working on. The entire unit is 12 horsemen, and this first set of 6 simply needs some detailing, basing and finally a coat of spray varnish.
These are from a fairly new plastic kit by Conquest Games. I was very impressed with this kit, and I plan on ordering another one down the road for a 2nd group of knights.
These guys are from the first unit for my Norman army. They are a band of levied peasants with spears and shields forced to fight for their lord. These minis are a mix of the unarmored Viking kit from Wargames Factory, mixed with some bits from one of their Saxon kits as well. These models would make great basic line infantry for just about any army from the Middle Ages.
I started with this unit to get a handle on how I wanted to paint the army as a whole. The predominant theme will be blue and white as a quasi-heraldry, in addition to more historical colors for the units (chainmail for the heavy infantry and knights. Dirty jerkins for the pesants). After putting on a quick base coat of various greys, tans, browns, and the contrasting dark blue, I washed the entire model with a mix of dark warm grey mixed with gel-medium. I think its too dark for some areas, and I don’t think I will be doing a deep wash like this for future units. It does give these guys a nice grimy look which fits their station. Occasionally I would use a bit of red or green on the shields to break up the colors a bit.
The round shields are one of the elements that will make the unit stand out some from the rest of the army, which will largely have ‘kite shields’. The spears are brass spears from Northstar, and the bases are laser cut MDF, or similar. I took my time coming up with a basing plan for this army, using this unit as guinea pigs. These are part of a exposition army that will be used at Adepticon, as well as for my personal use. Considering this I wanted the basing to fit anywhere from central Europe to the scrub land regions of the Holy Land. I think that the contrast between the ground and the grasses works great, and when this unit is ranked up it really comes together.
I painted these guys pretty quickly, and with not a great deal of care. They need to work when viewed from about a foot or more away. There are 24 in a unit, and I would like to have anywhere from 3 to 6 units in the army eventually. This means I need to work out a way to crank them out. These models are from a great kit, but some of the detail in the face is a bit hard to pick out once some paint gets on to them. I am going to try to bring more highlights out of their hair in future models.
Some of the fantastic Norman Knights from Conquest are up next!
Recently I have become infatuated by historicals, and have been making some progress on a Norman/Early Crusader army. The plan is that the army will be used for late Dark Ages battles up to the battles of the Kingdom of Jerusalem after the 1st Crusade. This project has been very satisfying after some recent frustrations with my miniature hobbies. The Warriors of Chaos army has become a burn, and I still need to figure out what the heck I want to do with my Legion of Everblight minis for Hordes. The US armor project for Flames of War has been going well, but I simply haven’t put much time in to it lately. I have a significant obligation with the Norman project, as many of the minis were provided to me as part of a campaign army that will be part of a large event happening at Adepticon 2012.
So far the army consists of…
- 12x Norman Knights
- 12x Mercenary Cavalry (Medium Cavalry)
- 24x Spear Heavy Infantry
- 24x Spear Heavy Infantry
- 24x Hand Weapon Heavy Infantry
- 24x Hand Weapon Medium Infantry
- 24x Spear Levy
- 16x Archers
Most of this is assembled and on bases, but only the spear levy have any significant amount of paint on them. I have some of the heavy infantry under way to figure out how I want to accomplish the chain-mail & other armor. Right now that is simply black under coat with a metallic drybrush. I think that they will require some more work/layers to really get them to pop.
I’ll try to post some work in progress pics of the spear levy once I can take them.