This is not the proper next phase of the game table project as I don’t have any update pictures. I did, however get the panels spray painted. After coating the boards with brown spray, I pulled out some patches, and highlighted the hills with a light tan color. It’s been a while since I had done any large area spray painting, and while I made sure there was a good flow of air, the basement reeked of acetone & aerosol. This quickly dissipated (into my apartment where it lingered for an hour or so), such is the way of the hobby life.
I hit up John for some advice on the next stage: flocking. I have tone of static grass, but I think I will try to hunt down some light green flock as well to change up the texture a bit. I’d love to add some grass tufts here and there as well, but I am not sure I can find a cost effective way to do so. The next stage prior to laying down flock and grass will to do some highlighting. The way I applied the tan spray brought up some of the detail in the sandy texture, but some proper drybrushing should help.
I will try to get some shots up in the next day or two (its depending on the weather at this point due to a lack of substantial light in the basement).
I’ve used some lightweight spackling compound to patch up the gaps between layers of the hills, and have added some small stones to create a region of rough terrain on a steep area. This will need some sanding to clean up the spackle, and perhaps shape the hillside some more.
Next step will be to get a coat of primer on the board. I am going to use some leftover interior house-paint from when the girlfriend and I painted our living room.
Here is the gaming table that I am working on. Its a 2 part modular table with several built in hills. I may add some more variation to the surface in the form of the topographic hills, but I want to make sure that adding items like rivers, roads, and woods isn’t too difficult. This sucker is pretty big at 8’x4′. It will be set on the dining room table for games, as opposed to a dedicated gaming table frame. Next step is to model some rocky patches peaking out of the hills, and to patch the layers of pink foam hills with spackle wall filler.
Here are two table concepts that I have been pondering. This would be a pretty simple, temperate style environment to suite lots of different game types. The idea is that additional terrain can be used to create a more specific sense of place.
This table would be two parts, with each half containing part of a large hill for king on the hill games, or representing something of a valley.
This is the river table. Large terrain pieces set over part of the river could help the river from dominating the entire board.
Each of these tables is designed to have other sections added to them to increase size, and to flip around to create different layouts.
The hills would be stepped and would cover a large area of the table, but not all of it generally. The river would be a lot of fun, but I think the key to making it playable without being a giant pain in the ass is to create several fords in addition to bridge terrain that can be used to cross the river.