The plans for my new table have changed. I was going to do large 4’x2′ sections, now I have decided to do 2’x2′ sections that have overlapping edges to help hide the seams of the modules.
Here are some shots of the table modules in progress.
The materials that I have used for this project are 1 1/2″ styrofoam for the base, cardboard for the base of the overlap, 1/4″ styrofoam for the hill sections, and lots and lots of liquid nails for bonding and a little texturing here and there. The edges of the styro are taped up as are the edges of the overlap to help prevent damage.
Here is a closeup of an area of hill section.
These hills are pretty flat, this is on purpose more to create a sense of flowing landscape than to create terrain to block line of site. I think that the end result will be nicely playable, as well as cool looking.