I decided to switch gears and to put some time into my never-finished Imperial Guard Regiment for Warhammer 40k. Recently I have gone back to the roots of why I started this project in the first place… tanks. Lots of tanks.
Something that I have been wanting to do is to make some Autocannon turrets for my Chimera IFV tanks. For a while I had considered ordering some parts from Games Workshop to make turrets from the usual Chimera turrets, but then decided that this was a good opportunity for a fairly simple casting project. In addition to the turrets, I also wanted to create some extra armor panels that I could attach to the sides of the tanks.
While the molds for these components will be pretty simple, they are basic one part molds, creating the turret has become a challange. I have been adding detail in various forms onto a base made of super sculpy, and only now do I fell that I like the way that the piece is coming together. I still have a lot of greenstuff work to do.
So far the turret is made from super sculpy that has been carved and sanded, plastic card, greenstuff, and bits from other miniature kits.
The side armor panels have been a little easier. I used bits of plastic sprue to represent reactive armor on top of the metal plates. The plates are layered plasticard, and the rivets are greenstuff that I made with a home-brewed rivet making tool.
I hopefully will be making a mold for these parts tomorrow morning. It depends if I can get the turret in shape by then.