Genestealers!

I began some preliminary work on my Tyranid project over the last several evenings between my other obligations (homework, and sleep). I had been thinking about the way that I wanted to paint the ‘nids for a while, and had even done some rough tests that I was really happy with. Here are some images of the second round of those tests.

I have to say that I am VERY happy that I did a test run before committing to the way I painted this mini. First of all I realized a few details that I would like to start to build up ahead of time, such as the fleshy red areas around the mouth and the wrists. Also to be very sure about the state of my can of dullcoat before I hit any volume of minis. I used a can of Armory flat spray, and the crap left this weird dusty coat on the mini.

I was so pissed when I realized this! I think that it was an issue of humidity, I have run into this in the past. The test spray didn’t show any funky results, but that was only on a piece of cardboard so I may not have been able to see that things were amiss. I was able to clean this guy up and to restore some of it’s paintjob with a brush with water in it. The thing that kills me is how much this coat of spray desaturated the paint’s color. Dullcoat does this a little usually, but this seemed a bit on the extreme side. I’m using a test mini next time to get a better idea as to what I will end up with. Oh well, that is why this is a prototype, and luckily, I have a lot of Genestealers, so it is not a huge loss.

After painting this model, I decided that I would do something with his broodmates that I haven’t done with many models in the past. I decided that I should paint the arms separately. This will allow me to get at the areas of the face and lower torso better. I have often avoided this method in the past as part of my general painting strategy, but now, with these critters, I think it will really help.

Author: xenite

I am an avid gamer, sculptor, and artist. The creative aspect of this hobby is what really draws me to it. :)

5 thoughts on “Genestealers!”

  1. I’ve run into that Armory Spray problem many years before. I’ve never tried it since, but got a can of it to coat all the terrain I’ve been doing. Now you have me worried.

    As far as painting in pieces, I’ve done this with my marines for a long time. I’m not sure how necessary it is if a final color isn’t significanly different from the primer coat, unless of course you have the access issue.

  2. I’ve had that problem with both Armory and Citadel spray primer. Armory does seem to have the issue more often. Too bad Citadel’s is soooo much more expensive.

  3. Guys screw the spray can, unless you want to only spray your minis from Dec-Feb.
    Buy the dullcote in bottle, and dab it on gently with a brush. you need to thin it thou or be just be very careful as undiluted it will smear the paint if your too sloppy, its more time consuming to dullcote but the results are great and you dont have to deal with that dusting bullshit. Great looking Stealer Aaron! that is similar to how I envison mine if I ever get around to them.

  4. Hmmm… I don’t mind the extra work to get a good coat of varnish on my minis. I have some of the Vallejo dullcoat in a bottle that I have been meaning to try out.

  5. I don’t even seal plastic minis (blasphemy, I know) but I’ve never had problems with paint rubbing off even though I transport my “horde” armies in big plastic tackle trays with no foam.

    I seal metal minis by hand with 2 coats of watered down GW ‘ardcoat followed by 2 coats of Testors model master acrylic matte coat.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s